Confidence with Cancer - Group Exercise Program in ACT
We understand that even the thought of trying to exercise whilst undergoing cancer treatment does not sound too appealing for some. You are not alone and many people fighting cancer feel this way.
However, are you aware of all the benefits exercise can have on your cancer recovery? Did you know that regular exercise can significantly reduce cancer treatment-related side effects?
At EmPower Exercise Physiology we help you with getting started or continuing on your exercise routine no matter where you are at during your cancer journey. We pride ourselves on our ability to support and understand you through all phases of treatment and beyond. Our unique cancer group program, Confidence with Cancer offers you a safe, friendly, and knowledgeable environment for you to feel at ease, unwind & take some well deserved time for you within your day.
Our Confidence with Cancer exercise program is open to all adults with a primary or secondary diagnosis of cancer. The aim of our program is to promote cancer survivorship and promote a healthy lifestyle through regular exercise to assist in maintaining functional capacity and help alleviate treatment-related side effects and disease burden.
Throughout your journey we hope to assist you in managing your treatment-related side effects, promoting cancer survivorship and gaining back that confidence or perhaps a new found confidence!
BENEFITS OF THIS PROGRAM:
- All sessions run by an Accredited Exercise Physiologist
- Maintain muscle mass and bone density
- Improve mood, sleep and energy levels
- Improve immune function and fatigue management
- Maintain aerobic capacity
- Improve balance and coordination
- Improved treatment completion rates
- Suitable for all fitness levels and abilities
- Exercises individually tailored to you
HOW DO I JOIN?
Simply call our friendly admin team or send us an email expressing your interest and we can answer any questions you may have regarding booking dates, class times and cost before booking you in for our next program.
Frequently Asked Questions
Exercise Physiologists are university qualified allied health professionals. We specialise in the prevention, treatment and management of injuries and/or chronic disease through exercise prescription. The aim of Exercise Physiology interventions are to restore one’s optimal physical function, health and wellness. These interventions are evidence-based and include health and physical activity education, advice and support, and lifestyle modification with a strong focus on achieving behavioural change. In addition, we can also assist athletes with sporting performance, strength and conditioning, as well as injury prevention techniques.
Medicare, DVA Health Cards (Gold & White), NDIS, Workers Compensation and Private Health rebates are available for Exercise Physiology services. We have HICAPS for on the spot claiming for your convenience.
You may be eligible to be referred by your GP to receive up to 5 Medicare rebated sessions every calendar year
Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEPs) are allied-health professionals with Medicare Provider numbers and are trained members of the health and medical sector. They have completed a 4 Year University Degree and are accredited with Exercise & Sports Science Australia (ESSA). Exercise Physiologists specialise in graded exercise therapy and lifestyle interventions for persons at risk of developing, or with existing chronic and complex medical conditions and injuries.
Personal Trainers are members of the sport and recreation sector. They are required to complete a certificate III & IV in Fitness, which enables them to work with general healthy populations. Personal Trainers are qualified and insured to design and deliver fitness programs to persons of low risk and provide ongoing motivation and support to assist with reaching fitness goals.
In general, your consultation will include the following:
• An initial assessment to understand your current health, capabilities and physical status
• Assessment of your exercise history
• An explanation of how exercise can assist with treating or improving conditions/quality of life
• An opportunity to determine and discuss goals relating to health and exercise, with strategies to achieve these goals
• Development of an individualised exercise program, home or clinic based, in a group or individual setting
• Discussion and instructions on how to complete the prescribed program, instructions on correct techniques, intensity and frequency of the exercises in your program
• A detailed written report back to your referring GP, specialist or other health practitioner
• Discussion of your goals, regular monitoring in the clinic or periodic reviews and program upgrades
Anyone is welcome to make an appointment with one of our Exercise Physiologists. All patients under Medicare, DVA, Workers Compensation and CTP claims will need a referral prior to attending an initial consultation to receive a rebate. Rebates are available through private health insurance, no referral is needed for this.